SENIOR VOLUNTEER TAX PROGRAM DEADLINES
- Applications are now available.
- Applications can either be downloaded from the Town of Winthrop website: www.town.winthrop.ma.us, on the Council on Aging's webpage or picked up at the Winthrop Senior Center, Town Hall or Library.
- All applications should be returned to the Senior Volunteer Service Program, Council on Aging, 35 Harvard St., Winthrop, MA 02152
Application deadlines for the fiscal year are as follows:
- Applications will be accepted until the close of business on April 18, 2012 (see pg. 2 of 5).
- Work will begin May/June, through the summer, September with the final date being October 15, 2012 (pg. 2 of 5).
SENIOR CITIZEN VOLUNTEER TAX PROGRAM
The Senior Citizen Volunteer Service/Tax Liability Reduction Program allows seniors (over the age of 60), to volunteer their services in exchange for a reduction in their property tax bill. Participants may earn a maximum reduction of $500.00 per fiscal year based on a rate per hour of service that cannot exceed the Commonwealth’s minimum wage.
Senior Volunteer Tax Program Requirements program requirements are:
- You must be a tax payer and 60 years of age or older during the tax year when the volunteering is completed and the tax reduction is credited.
- To be credited, the volunteer must have an ownership interest and reside in the property year round.
- Total reduction will not exceed $500.00.
- Hours must be completed by October 15th of the credited year.
- A CORI Release Form must accompany the application.
- Volunteers will be selected by lottery.
- Lottery winners will be notified of the drawing results and all other pertinent information by the Council on Aging Director shortly after the lottery.
- Creditable volunteerism can start immediately following participant notification in conjunction with authorization by the Council on Aging Director.
- If any selected volunteer is not able to fully participate, the Town may select another volunteer to participate up to the amount of hours not completed by the original participant.
- If you are interested in this program, beginning March 14, 2012, you can pick up an application packet at the Senior Center, Town Hall or Library, or applications can be downloaded from the Town of Winthrop website: www.town.winthrop.ma.us
- All applications should be returned to the Senior Volunteer Service Program, Council on Aging – 35 Harvard St., Winthrop.
Applications will be accepted until the close of business on Wednesday - April 18, 2012 (pg. 2 of 5)
The lottery will be held at the Senior Center on Wednesday - April 25, 2012 (pg. 2 of 5)
Winners will be notified by mail the week of May 9, 2012 (pg. 2 of 5)
If you have any further questions, please call the Council on Aging/Senior Center at: 617-846-8538 and ask for Nancy Williams, Director, Kathy Dixon, Rita Driscoll or Ruth Hames.
QUESTIONS, please call:
Call Nancy Williams, Director-Council on Aging
Kathy Dixon – COA staff
Rita Driscoll - COA staff
Ruth Hames – COA staff