Winthrop's green waste recycling drop-off site is located at the end of Kennedy Drive, where residents may bring their yard waste. There is finished compost and wood chips available to residents at no charge on site.
What is "green waste"?
Green waste includes grass, leaves, vines, hedge timings and small to medium size branches. Root balls and branches over six inches are not accepted. Operational concerns require that the branches must be separated from the other green waste. Branches should be stacked loosely with the but end sticking out. Grass, leaves, vines and hedge trimmings can be contained in any manner that you see fit provided the container or bag is not left behind. It is not necessary to purchase special compost bags to participate in the program. It is essential that other wastes, such as rocks, plastic, construction material, trash or animal waste do not mix with green waste. This waste can damage the Town's equipment or result in failed testing parameters. Your assistance is very much appreciated.
PLEASE NOTE NEW COMPOST HOURS
THE WINTHROP COMPOST WILL OPEN FOR THE 2015 SEASON ON SATURDAY, APRIL 11TH AND WILL BE OPEN FRIDAYS FROM 9 AM TO 12 PM AND 3 PM TO 6 PM AND SATURDAYS FROM 9 AM TO 12 PM AND FROM 1 PM TO 3 PM UNTIL SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5.
2015 COMPOST POLICIES
1. Free disposal of leaves and grass clippings for Winthrop residents. Please be prepared to show a driver's license or other proof of residency.
2. Residential Branch load tickets will be available at the DPW Building located at 100 Kennedy Drive Monday through Thursday during regular business hours. The cost is $20.00 per ticket.
3. Branch loads are not to exceed ONE TRUCK LOAD ( 5 YARD MAXIMUM).
4. Branches larger than 4 inches in diameter will not be accepted at the compost.
5. Tree stumps, trash, stones, dirt and other debris is strictly prohibited.
1. Contractor passes for grass clippings and leaves only will be available at the DPW building located at 100 Kennedy Drive, Monday through Thursday during regular business hours. The cost is $100.00 per pass.
2. Contractor loads are not to exceed ONE TRUCK LOAD.
3. Contractor loads must also be accompanied by a copy of a check or invoice dated within one week of the disposal day to assure that all work was completed in the Town of Winthrop..
4. Tree stumps, trash, stones, dirt and other debris is strictly prohibited.
5. ANY DIRT OR DEBRIS WILL RESULT IN LOAD REFUSAL. ALL LOADS WILL BE INSPECTED.
Public Works Cemetery Department 617-846-1341