The Management of Information Systems (M.I.S.) Department provides information processing support by maintaining and expanding hardware systems capability and software applications, monitoring system efficiency and providing personal computer support needs, instructing staff in system operations and assisting in the acquisition and integration of new hardware and software.
Description of Services
The MIS Department is responsible for developing the long-range technology strategy, which will guide the Town’s operation, and provide coordination and integration with third party software applications. The MIS Department is tasked with primary responsibility for technology that will sustain, enhance, and extend the delivery of high quality, customer-focused service while maintaining and supporting a reliable, efficient and stable networked communication and data infrastructure, a secure data communication and telecommunications network. Its staff supports approximately 100 employees from 16 departments.
Strategies to maintain a secure network have heightened since the tragedy of September 11, 2001. Since that time, the MIS Department has become a major player and first-responder to design, implement, support, train, maintain all aspects of technology and communications for Emergency Management Services and Security.
> The MIS Department supports, maintains, and trains on many client/server platforms: Windows, Unix, Novell and NT
> The MIS Department maintains the integrity of data on the following software applications/DBMS (Database Management Systems):
- SoftRight– Financial Software;
- Vision – RE Appraisal Software Package;
- RRC – Personal Proproperty Software;
- MBS – Cemetery Software;
- EJ Ward Fuel Management System – DPW Fueling Management System;
- Access DB: Non-Criminal Database – Tracks ordinance violations;
- Access DB: Nurse Records Database;
- VTH – Official town website;
- Harpers – payroll system;
- Quicken/QuickBooks – reconciliation tool;
- Merlin Legend w/Intuity Voicemail Phone system;
- Keyscan Security Control Access System;
- MES Command Center – Parking Ticket database, and
- Firewall/VPN, Internet connectivity, and email communication portal.
> Other applications which the MIS Department assist on support and maintaining as well as advise on:
- IMC (Police & Fire);
- CodeRED (Fire) – Automated Phone Notification System; and
- Activu (EOC).
> Serve on the Capital Budget Team, Local Emergency Planning Committee, and Emergency Operations Center project and various other committees, work-groups where technology is a major component of their project plans and strategies.