Fire Department


The Winthrop Fire Department serves the 1.6 sq. miles of the town out of two stations, one in the center of town, the Headquarters building on Pauline St., and one in the beach section of town on Shirley St.  We operate one engine company (Engine 2) from Pauline St and one engine company (Engine 1) and one ladder company (Ladder 2) from Shirley St. We have a staff of 31 firefghters and officers, divided into four groups, all of whom are paid career firefighters. We average 2500+ calls for service each year.

We welcome any suggestions or comments to help us improve this web site. Our goal is to provide timely, relevant information that will assist the citizens of the town in their dealings and interactions with the department.


The Winthrop Fire Department is dedicated to protecting the citizens of Winthrop from fires and other emergency situations both natural and manmade and to responding to these and medical emergencies in an efficient, professional manner.

We are committed to providing and delivering these services through continuing training and education of both fire department personnel and members of the community, by rigorous code enforcement and by maintaining an open, cooperative relationship with all other town departments and members of the community.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Paul E. Flanagan Fire Chief
Kelly Parker Clerk (617) 539-1062
Capt. Richard M. Swartz Administration Officer (617) 539-5813
Fr. Bourke Fire Chaplain