Update April 24, 2020: As the Senior Center remains closed, announcements regarding the 2020 Property Tax Work-Off Program, including the deadline to submit an application, will be announced once we have reopened.
Update March 18, 2020: The deadline to submit applications has been extended to 12pm on Friday, May 15th
The Senior Citizen Property Tax Work-Off Program allows seniors, aged 60 and older, to volunteer their services in exchange for a reduction in their property tax bill. Participants may earn a maximum reduction of $750 per fiscal year based on a rate per hour of service that cannot exceed the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ minimum wage.
- You must be a taxpayer, 60 years of age or older during the tax year when the volunteering is completed and the tax reduction is credited
- To be credited, you must have an ownership interest and reside in the property year round
- Total reduction will not exceed $750
- 63 hours must be completed by October 15th of the credited year
- A CORI release form must accompany the application
- Participants will be selected by lottery
- Lottery winners will be notified of the drawing results shortly after the lottery
- All lottery winners will be required to attend a mandatory orientation session at the Senior Center prior to beginning their service
- Work can start immediately following participant notification, in conjunction with authorization by the Council on Aging Director
- Money earned through the Tax Work-Off Program is reportable income for federal taxes only. Participants will receive a W-2 form for the amount of money earned through the program
|2020 Senior Citizen Tax-Work Off Application||394.91 KB|