The Senior Citizen Tax Work-Off Program allows seniors, aged 60 and older, to volunteer their services in exchange for a reduction in their property tax bill. Participants may earn a maximum reduction of $750 per fiscal year based on a rate per hour of service that cannot exceed the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ minimum wage.
- You must be a taxpayer, 60 years of age or older during the tax year when the volunteering is completed and the tax reduction is credited
- To be credited, you must have an ownership interest and reside in the property year round
- Total reduction will not exceed $750
- 63 hours must be completed by October 15th of the credited year
- A CORI release form must accompany the application
- Participants will be selected by lottery
- Lottery winners will be notified of the drawing results shortly after the lottery
- All lottery winners will be required to attend a mandatory orientation session at the Senior Center prior to beginning their service
- Work can start immediately following participant notification, in conjunction with authorization by the Council on Aging Director
- Money earned through the Tax Work-Off Program is reportable income for federal taxes only. Participants will receive a W-2 form for the amount of money earned through the program
Applications will be available at the Senior Center and online beginning Monday, March 11, 2019.
All applications should be returned to the Winthrop Senior Center by 2:00pm on Wednesday, April 17, 2019.
If you have any questions, please contact the Winthrop Senior Center via email, or by calling: 617-846-8538.