Please be advised that Winthrop Public Library and the Council on Aging are postponing many of their events for the near future. Please check the websites or call to confirm whether an event is still happening.
www.winthroppubliclibrary.org (617) 846-1703
www.town.winthrop.ma.us/council-aging (617) 846-8538
Novel Coronavirus Preparedness and Information
Novel coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) is a virus that recently emerged in December 2019 in China. Like the flu, it primarily affects the lungs. While some cases can be mild, some persons may develop more serious complications, and in some cases the virus can be fatal. The U.S. CDC strongly advises that community members prepare and take preventive steps. The Winthrop Public Health Department is working in coordination with MA DPH and other State, regional, and community partners on a rapidly evolving response.
The risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) remains low in our community.
We remind residents to be taking the following steps as a precaution:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Monitor children for good handwashing etiquette.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer and gels.
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with your inner elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces frequently.
- In addition, if you have traveled to Italy, Iran, China, South Korea, and/or Japan we ask that you Self-Quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to the United States.
As this is an evolving situation, we are committed to keeping our community informed and updated. Many questions have arisen about self-quarantine. Please reference info below or call the Winthrop Department of Public Health @ 617-846-1852 x1061.