Massport has notified the town that the FAA has moved forward with the initial preliminary stage of the Logan Airport Runway Safety Area Preliminary Boring project. The project will be conducted simutaneously with the current paving project work that is currently in progress.
There will be a barge placed in the water that will be visible to residents of the Town of Winthrop. The boring should be occurring between the hours of 7:00am - 7:00pm and last for approximately 3-4 weeks.
- This first stage consists of preliminary design to support environmental permitting.
- To support the permitting and help determine possible design options, borings into bedrock need to be taken off the end of Runway 27.
- The borings are coinciding with the Runway 9-27 Safety Rehabilitation to take advantage of the extended closure as the barge needs to be set up for a few days in each location. Nine borings are to be taken.
- The borings are self-contained and noise is minimal.
- The borings are covered under an amendment to the Runway 9-27 Order of Conditions issued by the Boston Conservation Commission.
- Environmental review process will include community meetings.