Town Manager Austin Faison and Public Health Director Meredith Hurley would like to update Winthrop residents on the latest information involving the COVID-19 pandemic. They have received notification from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) of ZERO additional residents affected by COVID-19.
Winthrop Community Food Bank
The Food Bank distributes food Monday-Thursday by delivery only. If you are in need, please email: [email protected]. Please provide your name, address, phone number and the number of adults and children in your household. If your need is urgent, call the Emergency Operations Center at 617-539-5848.
The Food Bank accepts donations Monday-Thursday from 11am to 1pm at the Cummings Elementary School (front loop across from Fire Station). The Food Bank is in need of bread, and non-perishable items including tuna, rice, tomato sauce, soup, canned vegetables, and paper products. Items without an expiration date cannot be accepted.
Street Sweeping Next Week May 18 to 22 (week of the 18th)
The Town of Winthrop will conduct street sweeping operations next week. Operations will occur between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM on the day of your street's trash collection.
Town ordinance prohibits parking in a manner that impedes the street sweeper. Violation of the street sweeping ordinance carries a $40.00 fine, and your vehicle can be towed. Enforcement of the street sweeping regulations will resume on May 18.
COVID-19 Emergency Operations Center
The Town of Winthrop Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is streamlining the COVID-19 response effort to ensure the continued delivery of services to residents.
The EOC can be reached at 617-539-5848, Monday through Thursday, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., or by emailing [email protected].
For residents that may be self-quarantined and require outside assistance or meal delivery, please contact the EOC at 617-539-5848 or [email protected]. All information will be confidential.
The COVID-19 Tip Hotline is available on the Winthrop Public Safety website at https://winthroppublicsafety.com/covid-19-tip-hotline/ for those self-reporting or for a concerned member of the community.
Winthrop Community Food Bank
The Food Bank is distributing food by delivery only. If you are in need of food, please email: [email protected]. Please provide your name, address, phone number and the number of people in your household. If your need is urgent, please call the Emergency Operations Center at 617-539-5848.
The Food Bank accepts donations Monday-Thursday from 11am to 1pm at the Cummings Elementary School (front loop across from Fire Station). The Food Bank is in need of non-perishable items including: bread, tuna, rice, tomato sauce, soup, canned vegetables, toiletries and paper products. Items without an expiration date cannot be accepted.
For questions about the Food Bank or donations, please contact Matt Rodes at [email protected].
Latest Health Guidance
- As always, if anyone displays symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, cough or shortness of breath, they should not go to work or school and are advised to contact their primary care physician.
- Practice social distancing by keeping six feet between people to prevent the spread of infection, which includes handshaking and hugging. Residents are also encouraged to avoid group activities and events.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, including under your fingernails. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol content) can be used when soap and water are not available.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing with a tissue and discard it immediately. Cough into the sleeve over your elbow instead of your hand. Wash your hands often when coughing and sneezing.
- Stay away from people who are sick and stay home when you are sick.
The Town encourages everyone to stay informed regarding COVID-19. The following resources are recommended for the most updated information:
- Town of Winthrop Official COVID-19 updates - https://www.town.winthrop.ma.us/home/urgent-alerts/covid-19-public-healt...
- Winthrop Public Safety website - https://winthroppublicsafety.com/
- Winthrop COVID-19 Tip Hotline - https://winthroppublicsafety.com/covid-19-tip-hotline/
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health - https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-updates-and-information
- Massachusetts 2-1-1 general COVID-19 information - https://mass211.org/ or dial 2-1-1 (24/7)
- Massachusetts COVID-19 text updates: Text "COVIDMA" to 888-777
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - https://www.cdc.gov/
- The Children’s Advocacy Center of Suffolk County - https://www.suffolkcac.org/support-resources/covid-19-support